Tonatiuh Bravo is an Economist by the University of Guadalajara, Mexico. He holds a Master in Public Finance from the University of New Mexico, USA and a Master in Information Society from the Open University of Catalonia, Spain. He has postdoctoral studies in Higher Education Management from the University of Guadalajara.
He is also a research professor within the University Center for Economics and Management (CUCEA) of the University of Guadalajara. Tonatiuh Bravo has extensive academic teaching experience at all levels (high school, undergraduate and postgraduate). He is currently lecturer for the Master in Public Policy and the Master in Higher Education Management and Policy programs, which are quality certified by CONACYT (National Council of Science and Technology, Mexico).
Tonatiuh Bravo’s research interests include Mexico’s higher education finance system, financial oversight of public expenditure and general public policy. He has directed more than 20 theses in undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Within his academic production, he has published the following:
- Compromiso Social por la Calidad de la Educación (Social Compromise for the Quality of Education);
- 20 Puntos para la Reforma del Estado (Twenty points for the State Reform);
- (Co-editor) (2005) El Proyecto de Arcediano y el abastecimiento de agua potable en la Zona Conurbada de Guadalajara (Arcediano’s project and water supply in Guadalajara’s Metropolitan Area), Universidad de Guadalajara.
- Buenas, malas o raras: Las Leyes Mexicanas de Fiscalización Superior, 2000–2009 (Good, bad or strange: Financial Oversight Laws in Mexico, 2000-2009);
- Cuenta Pública en México: evaluando el laberinto legal de la fiscalización superior (Public Account in Mexico: Assessing the financial oversight laws’ labyrinth);
Tonatiuh Bravo has wide experience in university government and is currently the General Rector of the University of Guadalajara (elected for the 2013–2019 term). He was appointed Vice-Rector of the University of Guadalajara (2003–2006). He has also been the head of CUCEA on several occasions: as the founding Executive Coordinator (1993–1994) and Rector in 1998–2003 and 2010–2013. He has also held the position of General Coordinator of Social Engagement and Director of the High School’s System of the University of Guadalajara.
Tonatiuh Bravo has been elected to several positions of public representation. In the Federal House of Representatives (Cámara de Diputados) he has served as congressman in 1994–1997 and again in 2006–2009, when he acted as the Chair of the Committee on Public Education and Educative Services. He was a member of the city council (regidor) in Guadalajara’s City Hall, in 1998. June 2015